The mission of the Dayton Society of Artists is to connect, support, and educate artists and the community.
A collaborative alliance of artists since 1938, the Dayton Society of Artists is celebrating its 80th Anniversary.
The exhibition calendar includes seven exhibitions a year that are free and open to the public with opening receptions on the first Friday of the month. We are located in the historic neighborhood of Saint Anne’s Hill at 48 High Street in Dayton, OH. More information can be found at www.daytondsa.org or contact us at P. 937-228-4532 E. firstname.lastname@example.org
Dayton Society of Artists (DSA) is pleased to announce an Open Call for our July-August exhibition slot for Crossing Boundaries. Crossing Boundaries celebrates the connections and discoveries that are made when we step outside of ourselves and broaden our understanding of the other. Different backgrounds, religions, cultures, abilities, and locations can divide, but in the end, we are all bound by the same humanity. Crossing Boundaries will correspond with the DSA’s hosting of an artist-in-residence from Monrovia, Liberia, Dayton’s sister city. All proceeds from applications to the show will go towards sustaining the residency program and providing art supplies to Monrovian artists.
Artists and curators are invited to submit their work for consideration.
Floor Map & Images of Gallery
ELIGIBILITY & TERMS
- Must be 18+ years
- Art in all media is accepted.
- All artwork submitted must be ready to hang or install. Works on paper may be framed and wired OR works on paper can be hung with bull clips. The DSA has plaster and lath walls and uses a hook and rod hanging system. Works that are 12-16 pounds or less may be hung with 3M Velcro Strips. These strips are placed directly onto the works or the frame. Tape can be placed on directly to the artworks so the 3M Velcro Strips adheres to this. The DSA is open to creative installation solutions.*
- The DSA has 2 flat screen TVs available. Artists working in new media, film, or video - may be required to use your own equipment for exhibitions.
- Artists are responsible for shipping and delivery of work both ways.
- Artwork already shown at the DSA is ineligible.
HOW TO APPLY
- Format proposal/submission as a PDF. PDFs should not exceed 10MB. (PDFS are preferred although word docx are also acceptable.)
- Submit a brief written outline of the proposed exhibition OR Artist Statement OR Bio (e.g. no more than 250 words). There is no need to include a proposed budget for the project.
- List any supporting material needed for installation of artwork.
- Include contact information, address, phone number, and email.
- Format the PDF to include up to 5-10 images within the body of the PDF.
- Include links to websites, video hosting services (YouTube/Vimeo) and another necessary supporting material
- Label PDF with full name. Example: JaneSmith_DSA.PDF
Application deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019 at 11:59pm
Notification: June 8, 2019
Shipping Works received: June 26-28, 2019 (Wednesday-Friday) Works Dropped off June 28-29, 2019 (Friday & Saturday)
Opening Reception: Friday, June 7, 2019, 6-9 PM
Exhibition runs: June 7-August 17, 2019
Pick-up and return of work TBA
This exhibition will be juried by Bing Davis and Tess Little. Davis and Little founded REACH (Realizing Ethnic Awareness and Cultural Heritage) Across Dayton which seeks to promote learning in the arts and humanities by creating an atmosphere that builds respect, knowledge, appreciation, and understanding for this area's diverse cultural populations. Little received her M.F.A. in 1980 from Cranbrook Academy of Art. Davis received his M.Ed. in 1967 from Miami University and also pursued graduate studies at Indiana State University.
DSA takes ZERO commission on artwork(s) sold. All proceeds from sold work go directly to the Artist(s). As a non-profit 501c3 we do ask artists to consider making a donation from sales to support future programming.
The DSA does not insure work in transit to or from the gallery. Artists retain responsibility for insuring the work during shipping and travel. The DSA has Fine Art Coverage Insurance. Any insurance claims must be accompanied by documentation of past sales and or professional 3rd party appraisals.
CONDITIONS & RULES
*Entries accepted for exhibition must have a professional appearance. The DSA uses a rod and hook hanging system due to the plaster and lath walls (no nails or screws may be used). Work does NOT have to be framed but must be wired on the back if it is to be installed on the wall. If work is lightweight, then 3M Velcro tape can be used for installation. Artists must provide their own equipment for artwork that has special requirements, such as video projectors or TVs for sound art and video art etc.
SHIPPING & OR DELIVERY OF WORK
Artists shipping their work:
All works must be shipped in reusable containers with a return-shipping label. All accepted works must be available for the entire duration of the exhibition. Artists are responsible for their own shipping costs to AND from the gallery.
Shipped work must arrive between these dates: June 26-28, 2019, (Wednesday-Friday) Special delivery exception: Artists with work weighing more than 35 pounds and/or bigger than 4 ft. x 4ft will have to arrange a special delivery time with the Gallery Director, please contact by email email@example.com or 937-228-4532.
Artists dropping off their work: June 28-29, 2019, (Friday & Saturday)
Artists are asked to call and/or e-mail the gallery to arrange a time to drop their work off on
Amanda Grieve: firstname.lastname@example.org or 937-228-4532
The mission of the Dayton Society of Artists is to connect, support, and educate artists and the community. Founded in 1938 The Dayton Society of Artists aims to engage and support the Dayton community by providing artists of all levels with access to art education, exhibition opportunities, and professional development, and to enrich the people of Miami Valley through high-quality exhibitions and programming. A non-profit organization, it seeks to benefit the community at large by sharing resources to create an interest in the visual arts and to expand knowledge in this area.
DAYTON’S FIRST FRIDAYS
On the first Friday of every month there are citywide gallery openings in Dayton, OH. Crossing Boundaries’s opening reception will be held during the First Friday event, July 5, 6-9 PM.
APPLICATION TECHNICAL TIPS
How to Create a PDF in Word:
- From the Main Menu click on File and choose Save As.
- Type a name for the PDF in the File Name box.
- Next click on File Format and choose the PDF as the File Format.
How to reduce the size of a PDF in Word:
- Click on the picture in your document.
- Select Picture Format Tab
- Select the Compress Pictures Icon Button
- Select one of the options HD, Print, On-screen, or Email
- Click All pictures in the file or selected pictures and then OK button